*** UPDATE 11/19/18***
Did you miss our equipment lottery sessions on 10/22 and 10/23? You may still have the opportunity to rent equipment for the season.
We do not have any snowboards remaining. While the fitting nights have concluded for the year, we do still have a limited supply of ski equipment available. Please call the chalet at 218-724-9832 to schedule a ski fitting time for your family.
Please note that this availability is subject to changes as people call in, and we cannot guarantee that the right sized gear will be available when your family arrives for their fitting.
After setting up your fitting time, you can then skip to step 2 as listed below.
Are you looking to rent skis or snowboards through Chester Bowl for the winter season? Please read on, even if you are past participants- our equipment lottery system has changed! Please also share this information with families who may want to join in the fun at Chester Bowl for the first time.
If you are planning on getting a season pass, but do NOT need rentals, you can simply come in any time the hill is open. You also can contact Sam to set up an appointment at 724-9832 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not come in for passes when we are not open without a reservation, as our office hours vary significantly day to day.
Our equipment rental model is to rent gear out for the entire season; you will get the gear in November, and keep it with you until mid-April. This gear is yours to use at Chester Bowl, as well as at any other hills that you attend.
We rent out approximately 100 snowboards and 1300 sets of skis each year, so the logistics are a bit complicated. The lottery process allows us to space out all of our families for the lottery sessions and the fittings, so we can be as efficient as possible!
We have made some changes to the format of our equipment lottery so that people will need to spend less time there. There are three main steps to follow to get gear.
1. Sign up online by October 11 AT THIS LINK.
2. Attend an equipment lottery session as assigned.
3. Attend the fitting night that you choose to get your gear.
Here is more detail about each:
1. Sign up online by October 11th AT THIS LINK. Instead of one giant (and looong) equipment lottery session, we are spreading the group out to four separate sessions this year. This will allow the signup portion of each session to go much faster, and get everyone out quickly!
The initial online signup is how we assign each family to one of the four sessions. Returning families that completed their volunteer requirement and all new families will be randomly assigned to one of the first three sessions (Mon, Oct 22, 5:30pm; Mon, Oct 22, 7:00pm; Tues, Oct 23, 5:30pm). Returning families that did NOT complete their volunteer requirement will be assigned to the final session (Tues, Oct 23, 5:30pm).
You will receive an email from us on October 12th assigning you to one of the four sessions. If you don’t get this email by the end of the day on the 12th, check your spam folder. If it is not there, give us a call or send us an email.
If you missed the October 11 registration date, that’s OK- simply come to the final Ski Lottery session at 7pm on Tuesday, October 23rd.
2. Attend the equipment lottery session assigned to you. There are two main things that happen at the lottery. First, Chester Bowl staff and volunteers will give an overview of all the incredible things that happen at Chester Bowl, including free lessons, the race series, Freestyle Friday, our scholarship program, and much more! Second, each family then signs up for their equipment fitting time (between October 30 and November 20). We have volunteers with the signup calendars to help you select the earliest time that works for you and your family. Please bring your calendars! We will have everyone out of their equipment lottery session in 90 minutes or less. Only one person from each family needs to attend the lottery; no payments are taken at this event.
All sessions are held at Vineyard Church, 1533 Arrowhead Road, Duluth MN 55811.
If you can’t attend your assigned session, you may attend any session AFTER the one you are assigned to. If that doesn’t leave you with options that work for you, you can call the chalet after the final lottery session to get the next available fitting time. Please don’t come to a lottery time earlier than the one you are assigned to- you won’t be able to sign up for a fitting. We typically have had enough ski equipment for every family that participates in the lottery or signs up the day after, with earlier families tending to get the newest gear. Because of our limited snowboard supply, it is very likely that not every person interested in renting a snowboard will be able to do so.
3. Attend the fitting night that you choose to get your gear. The fitting nights are when you get your gear! Please bring everyone in your family who is renting gear (in the socks and hats they are likely to wear in winter), along with a small picture (smallest school size or similar), and payment (cash and checks). You will get fitted for gear and take it home with you that night. It’s yours to use until gear returns on April 16, 17, and 18. Fitting nights are October 30 for snowboards, and November 1, 5-7, 12-15, 19, & 20 for skis. All individuals renting equipment must also have Chester Bowl season passes.
Prices depend on the number of rentals desired. Please see the pricing grid on page two of this link. Also, please note that families pay the amount in the “initial cost” column. This amount includes a volunteering deposit. After successfully completing volunteer hours, families are eligible for their volunteer deposit to be refunded at the end of the season.
Paperwork will be available at the chalet. If you would like to save yourself some time when you come in, you can print it out and fill it out in advance. The paperwork is available at this link. Blank pages are intentional to have pages line up correctly when printing double-sided. If printing single-sided, there is no need to print those blank pages.
We offer partial or full scholarships to those receiving season passes and season rentals. If a scholarship would help your family be able to afford our program, simply fill out the one page form included in the registration packet. Every request is approved. Our goal is to never let a family’s financial situation interfere with their ability to ski or snowboard.
All gear MUST be returned during our three equipment return nights- April 16, 17, & 18, 5:30-8:30 each evening. Please put these dates on your calendar now!
Our ski and snowboard area partners offer fantastic discounts to our season pass holders at their hills. See all the details here!
Thank you for reading this to the end, if you still have questions, check out more on our program at https://www.chesterbowl.org/ski-and-snowboard/. If you then STILL have questions, call us at 218-724-9832, or email Sam at email@example.com.