The Freestyle Fridays event series has a new look for the 2022/2023 season that we hope allows for more progression and more fun!
We will be splitting participants by ability level (not by age) and by gender. Gender fluid participants are encouraged to participate in the group they are comfortable in. Participants will sign up ahead of the event for a specific ability level and gender group. The ability levels are as follow:
- Beginner- can ski, snowboard, snowskate down the hill but are learning to do features.
- Intermediate- have at least one year of experience riding terrain park features, can do a box & easy rails.
- Expert- Can ride every feature in the park and are focused on advanced tricks
At the start of the event there will be a welcome. We will explain the event to the participants and then split them by their age groups. Each age group will compete simultaneously in different areas of the terrain park. So this means that participants will be split into 6 different groups (based on their ability level and gender) and each group will be led by two instructors and other volunteers.
- Each group will be doing a contest on an appropriate feature based on ability level.
- For example, beginners will be using a fun box or small jump, intermediate a rail, expert a more difficult feature.
- Groups will have 45 minutes to have a contest during which:
- Staff members & Cadets will coach the participants
- Staff members will assign points to each individual based on:
- Attempts tried
- Peace in the Parks/ Good sports-person-ship
- Tricks landed
- Progress Made
After the 45 minutes is up, we gather up and each coach announces the runners up and winners from each group and we hand out prizes.
- Beginners Boys
- Beginners Girls
- Intermediate Boys
- Intermediate Girls
- Expert Boys
- Expert Girls
Event registration is open 5-6pm the day of the event and is located in the equipment fitting garage. An emergency contact form and waiver must be signed by a parent prior to participation in Freestyle Fridays. This form will be available here once we get closer to the season and only need to be filled out once a year. The event starts at 6:15.
This year’s Freestyle Friday events will be on:
January 6, sponsored by Team Duluth
January 13, sponsored by Continental Ski & Bike
January 20, sponsored by Natural Investments
January 27, sponsored by Duluth Gear Exchange
February 3, sponsored by Damage Boardshop
February 10, sponsored by Medium Control
February 17, sponsored by Fireplace Corner